SoundMeter 8.0 and SoundMeter Pro 4.0, which are both now available for download on the App Store, each include a companion app for Apple Watch. With the Watch app, you can monitor the current sound level, spectrum, and/or noise dose from your wrist (requires iOS 8.2 and iPhone 5 or later). These new versions of SoundMeter add other significant features, as well, including background sound level measurements and notifications of exceeded levels. The original sound level meter app for iPhone has now become the original sound level meter app for Apple Watch.
SoundMeter’s companion app for Apple Watch includes a separate screen for each of SoundMeter’s available tools running on the iPhone (new tools added to SoundMeter via in-app purchase are also supported in the companion app). Each tool can be started or stopped from the watch and current measurement values are updated on the watch display each second. The new notifications feature in SoundMeter allows the user to be notified on the Apple Watch when certain events occur. Notifications can be triggered when measurements stop (using the Auto-Stop feature) or when certain user-defined levels are exceeded. These notifications are supported in each of the Meter, Octave, and Dosimeter tools.
SoundMeter’s new ability to run in the background allows it to continue to run long-term measurements while other (non-audio) apps are in use. A complimentary new feature also allows the individual tools in SoundMeter to run independently. This means that users can run measurements in the Meter, Octave, and Dosimeter tools simultaneously. Users no longer need to worry about resetting the current measurement by switching to another tool (whether intentionally or accidentally). This makes SoundMeter more robust in terms of its ability to preserve acquired data until it can be saved more permanently in an image or data file.
Watch App Screenshots
The new versions of SoundMeter also include the following improvements:
- Lx (percentile-exceeded sound level) measurements now use the same time and frequency weighting as the Lp measurement, instead of automatically switching to Fast and A weighting.
- Frequency weighting may now be set to Flat, A, or C in the Dosimeter options menu (previously, the Dosimeter only allowed A weighting).
- Meter, Octave, and Dosimeter tools now use local notifications to alert you when a measurement has finished or when selected levels have exceeded user-defined thresholds.
- This release corrects a bug that could cause the device sensitivity for the built-in mic or the headset input to get corrupted when changing input gain selection with device units set to “FS.”
- Octave and Dosimeter tools, Lx measurement and data file export capability are sold separately within SoundMeter via in-app purchase. These capabilities are all included with SoundMeter Pro.
- This SoundMeter update will require you to restore your in-app purchases (you will not be charged again for upgrades you have already purchased).
- Apple Watch compatibility requires iOS 8.2 and iPhone 5 or later.
Download SoundMeter 8.0
Download SoundMeter Pro 4.0
Versions 3.8 of SignalScope, SignalScope Pro, and Electroacoustics Toolbox for Mac OS now offer built-in support for USB measurement microphones from miniDSP and Dayton Audio as well as the model 333D01 USB accelerometer from Digiducer.
Each app directly supports the miniDSP UMIK-1 and Dayton UMM-6 USB measurement microphones. Sensitivity calibration data for these mics can be downloaded automatically, just by entering the mic’s serial number. Making calibrated sound level measurements is as easy as plugging in the UMIK-1 or UMM-6, typing in its serial number, and getting started with the analysis tool of your choice (the serial number only needs to be entered once, after which the app will remember the microphone sensitivity). An internet connection is required to download sensitivity information for the microphone.
Each of these apps also directly supports the Digiducer 333D01 USB digital accelerometer, and can automatically load serial number and sensitivity calibration information directly from the device. Making calibrated acceleration measurements is as easy as plugging in the 333D01 and getting started with the analysis tool of your choice.
Various bugs and potential instabilities in each app have been corrected.
These apps all require Mac OS version 10.7 or later.
Electroacoustics Toolbox Screenshot
Download Electroacoustics Toolbox on the Mac App Store
Download Electroacoustics Toolbox trial
Download SignalScope Pro on the Mac App Store
Download SignalScope Pro trial
Download SignalScope on the Mac App Store
Download SignalScope trial
SoundMeter Pro 3 now offers the option to overlay noise criteria (NC), room noise criteria (RNC), or noise rating (NR) references curves over the live Octave analyzer bar graph. When NC or NR references curves are visible, SoundMeter Pro also calculates the NC or NR value, respectively. Speech interference level (SIL) is also calculated.
As in the recent update to SignalScope Pro, SoundMeter Pro’s Octave analyzer tool now offers the option to load whole or 1/3-octave spectrum data from exported Octave data files. Up to six sound spectrum curves can be overlaid on the live bar graph. It is possible to select the individual channels from which to load data when multiple channels of data exist within a single file. Also of note is the ability to overlay 1/3-octave data on a whole-octave bar graph and vice versa.
SoundMeter Pro 3 also features the following improvements:
- The Octave tool now calculates Lp, Leq, and Lx values, regardless of which is currently being displayed.
- The Octave tool calculates the noise criterion (NC) and speech interference level (SIL) as defined in ANSI S12.2-2008, as well as the noise rating (NR) level.
- SoundMeter Pro 3 employs a new plotting framework for real-time data graphs and high resolution image export.
- GPS coordinates, altitude, and accuracy may now optionally be saved with Octave analyzer data. Retrieving location information now works on iOS 8 for the Meter and Dosimeter tools, which can also export more detailed location information.
- When viewing details for data files saved within the app, the Open In button now works properly on both iOS 7 and iOS 8. Depending on the file type and the apps installed and/or configured on your iOS device, options may be presented for emailing, previewing, printing or copying the file, in addition to opening the file in another app.
SoundMeter 7 offers the same enhancements as SoundMeter Pro 3, although some of the new features require upgrades which are available in SoundMeter via in-app purchase. These upgrades include the Octave Analyzer RTA Tool, Percentile-Exceeded Sound Levels, and Data Acquisition Support.
SoundMeter was the first sound level meter app ever available for iPhone and has been recognized as one of the most accurate and most reliable.
Download SoundMeter Pro 3
Download SoundMeter 7
SignalScope Pro 5.0 and SignalScope 6.0*, both now available for download on the App Store, add support for up to 7 FFT spectrum curves to be loaded from existing data files (CSV, MAT, or tab-delimited text files previously saved from the FFT analyzer tool). Live FFT data can be overlaid on these curves. When loaded data files include multiple channels of FFT data, one or more of those channels can be selected for display in the current FFT plot. The addition of controls for adjusting the line thickness and opacity of loaded data makes it easy to visually distinguish between live and static FFT data. The FFT analyzer also now supports fractional-octave band smoothing of curves displayed in the plot. (It is important to note this is simply smoothing of the FFT curve—it does not simulate the behavior of true fractional octave band filtering, such as that offered by the Octave analyzer tool, which is included in SignalScope Pro.)
The Octave analyzer tool** also now offers the option to load whole or 1/3-octave spectrum data from data files. Up to six curves can be overlaid on the live bar graph. Again, it is possible to select the individual channels from which to load data when multiple channels of data exist within a single file.
Another significant addition to SignalScope and SignalScope Pro is direct support for iTestMic and iAudioInterface2 hardware from Studio Six Digital, as well as the Dayton UMM-6 USB measurement microphone. The new hardware support is consistent with the additions made to SoundMeter Pro 2.3.
Also new in SignalScope Pro:
- SignalScope Pro 5 employs a new plotting framework for real-time data graphs and high resolution image export.
- The black color scheme now uses black status bar, toolbar, and tab bar backgrounds.
- Support for drawing directly to an external screen (from iPad) has been removed in favor of screen mirroring, which is handled by iOS.
- Audio hardware input and output options are now presented from a separate toolbar button, which looks like a microphone, on iPad, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- It is possible to adjust the line thickness of live and loaded frequency response data. The opacity of loaded data can also be adjusted in order to make the live data stand out in the graph.
- The oscilloscope time scale can now be set from the oscilloscope options menu.
- Saving an audio file no longer causes a crash when working with large oscilloscope time scales.
Download SignalScope Pro 5.0
Download SignalScope 6.0
* Data file export and import in SignalScope requires the Data Acquisition Upgrade, available via in-app purchase.
** The Octave analyzer tool is available in SignalScope via in-app purchase. It is included in SignalScope Pro.
RoomScope 4.0 is now available for download on the App Store.
As with the recent update to IOScope, RoomScope now supports fractional octave band smoothing of 2Ch FR magnitude and coherence data (1/6, 1/12, and 1/24 octave bandwidths). RoomScope also adds built in support for iTestMic and iAudioInterface2 from Studio Six Digital and support for automatic downloading of sensitivity and frequency response data for the Dayton UMM-6 USB measurement microphone.
Other improvements to RoomScope include the following:
– RoomScope 4 employs a new plotting framework for real-time data graphs and high resolution image export.
– A bar graph is now used to display room acoustics parameters across octave or 1/3-octave frequency bands.
– Support for drawing directly to an external screen (from iPad) has been removed in favor of screen mirroring, which is handled by iOS.
– Audio hardware input and output options are now presented from a separate toolbar button, which looks like a microphone, on iPad, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
– It is possible to adjust the line thickness of plotted data.
Download RoomScope 4.0
SoundMeter 6.3 and SoundMeter Pro 2.3 now officially support the iTestMic and iAudioInterface2 from Studio Six Digital. -> read more …
IOScope 5, which is now available for download on the App Store, employs a new plotting framework for real-time data graphs and high resolution image export. -> read more …
All Faber apps for Mac OS received updates to improve their compatibility with Yosemite (Mac OS 10.10). Room Analyzer and Octave Analyzer tools now support sample rates up to 192 kHz. -> read more …
Like the recently released SignalScope Pro 4, SoundMeter Pro 2.0 can now uniquely identify USB audio devices attached to an iOS device and remember your settings for each audio device each time it is connected. -> read more …
SignalScope Pro version 4 can uniquely identify USB audio devices attached to iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, and remember user settings for each device the next time it is connected. Direct support has been added for The Modal Shop’s model 333D01 USB digital accelerometer and miniDSP’s UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone. -> read more …